One of the best things about Octopath Traveler is how much his approach to the mechanics of classical role-playing games is open. Obviously you start the game by choosing a starting character, but the most interesting thing is how the working system evolves. There are eight different standard jobs in Octopath Traveler (dealt with the advanced classes in our Working Class List) – and over time you will gain the ability to combine jobs on a character to create unique hybrid classes.
This is actually a great system that allows you to create some great RPG classics that are not present as default jobs. Octopath Traveler does not have a Paladin type that mixes Knight and Holy magic abilities, for example, using job combinations you can create one by combining the Cleric and Warrior work classes. It's super nice, seriously.
To stay connected to work combinations and stacking jobs, you will first have to unlock each job by visiting its associated sanctuary. If you need help, see the Octopath Traveler Sanctuary Positions guide, which lists the exact location where you can unlock every single job in the game, including advanced classes. Now … on those class combos …
Choosing the best class / work combinations in Octopath Traveler
One thing we should subtract is a disclaimer about job combinations: honestly, there's no there is a "bad" combination in Octopath Traveler. Depending on the general makeup of your four character party, you can create very special combat teams with even the most disparate class choices, so you should not let everything we write here discourage you from trying something crazy.
That said, some characters lend themselves naturally to certain combinations thanks to their natural abilities ̵
Remember that by unlocking skills in each class, you will also unlock passive skills. While when trading a job the active abilities and the statistics bonuses disappear with the work, passive abilities remain around . This means that sometimes it may be useful to equip a subclass of a character, perform that job for a while until you can afford to unlock a certain passive skill, and then abandon the job. A great example are the magicians Cyrus and Ophilia – both will benefit greatly from the passive skill Second Wind of the Dancer job, which recovers SP every turn – but it will not be possible to have both gifted immediately. You can, however, unlock the passive one and then use it once the work of Dancer has been passed on to someone else.
Finally, keep in mind that these subclasses and job combinations are just suggestions and ideas to keep you going. Experience! Here's what Octopath Traveler does – and let us know your favorite combinations in the comments.
Job Combination Suggestions for Olberic
- Warrior / Cleric: Ideally achieved by equipping the work of the Cleric to the natural warrior Olberico (Ophilia is hardly suitable to take a sword), this combination of work takes the most important Octopath's one-trick pony and turns it on by giving him access to healing spells and saints. This can help to ensure that when he is doing tank as his main job he is never in danger, although this can also be achieved in another way …
- Warrior / Thief: Equip this to Olberic for create a terrifying character – the Thief class gives you access to the corrosive skills of HP Thief and Armor – allowing you to defeat enemies, heal you at the cost of their health and then, once ready, release the physical power of Olberic on them for finish them off.
- Warrior / Apothecary : If you want to make the ultimate tank, this combination of work is the way to go – at least until advanced lessons. The 20% HP bonus of the Apothecary class will increase Olberic's already heavy pool, plus you'll get boost to Critical, Attack and Defense statistics and the chance to heal through the Concoct command.
Suggestions for the combination of work for Cyrus
- Scholar / Cleric: Equipping the scholar Cyrus with the Cleric is a combination of work that will essentially transform him into a powerful archmage – or at least one that will drag you to you can unlock the advanced wizard class. This opens Cyrus up to Holy / Light Elemental Magic, in addition to healing.
- Scholar / Dancer : Cyrus will receive a boost from the Dancer class giving him more speed, evasion and crucial elemental attack – and when enemies are not subject to a specific weakness, he can instead double the fans or debuff for himself or other members of the party through the skills of the Dancer. The Dancer also has a large passive that restores SP, ideal for Cyrus.
- Scholar / Merchant : A great class if you are all-in on Cyrus's magical abilities for a reason: the Merchant has the unbelievable ability to rest. It costs 0 SP and spends your turn to restore HP, SP and Heal Status Ailments – which means you can always be fully charged for a magical assault. The Merchant also grants some decent bonuses to Elemental Attack, Defense, HP and SP.
Job Combination Suggestions for Therion
- Thief / Dancer: The Thief class, repped by Therion, is all about speed – and how is the Dancer class to an extent. The damage that Therion does is in part based on its speed, and the Dancer statistic has a nice 10% boost to increase speed (plus a 10% profit increase on Evasion, useful considering how rogue thieves are).
- Thief / Scholar : While Therion is not the most natural of wizards, the combination of Thief / Scholar work can work well if you center around the thief's SP skill, allowing you to fill at least two or three spells of the value of SP by destroying a broken enemy, thus keeping this magician supplied with the potential to cast the spell at any moment.
Job Combination Suggest of Ophilia
- Cleric / Dancer : Ophilia is already the most natural supporting character in Octopath Traveler, so combining her natural healing skills with Dancer's buff-based gameplay makes sense beyond to give access to Ophilia Pugnali, which may prove useful. Even the push for statistics is decent: a 10% buff to accelerate will help Ophilia to act first for vital care, 10% boost for Evasion will help her stay out of trouble and the 8% attack on the team. Elemental Attack will help his element Light
- Cleric / Scholar : Just as with the combination Scholar / Cleric above, combining the two wizards together to create a jack of all operations can be really useful, and it works well too with Ophilia – it will not improve the diversity of the character, but will give them access to more skills that fit the existing set of stat.
Job Combination Tips for Primrose
- Dancer / Scholar: Dancer primer has skills based mainly on buffing others, but giving her the job of learned magician as a subclass, you can actually turn her into a tough wizard with access to the three most Dark main elements, which comes from its natural class. Since Primrose has pretty decent elementary attack statistics in his Dancer class, Scholar further enhances him but also moves to give her much more SP to play with.
Job Combination Suggestions for Alfyn
- Speech / Warrior : Increasing the natural abilities of Alfyn's pharmacist with that of a warrior, you end up with a much more powerful fighter. Alfyn is rather weak, but the Warrior statistic bolsters his skills a bit, and also gives him the ability to hit any element and 3 different types of weapons – quite good for a non-magical focused character.
- Speziale / Cacciatore: Alfyn already has to do with the objects and the things that you collect because his main unique skill, inventing, makes use of objects you find in the world. This is very similar to the Hunter class, which allows you to gather Pokemon-style beasts. The combination of these two jobs allows you to consolidate your micromanaging of this type on a character, and allows an effective style of play between the use of monsters captured to inflict massive damage and use the concept to enhance, debuff or heal – in addition to the Hunter's balance the statistics bonuses will prove useful.
Job Combination Suggestions for Tressa
- Merchant / Robber : While a thief is basically the opposite of a trader, these two classes can work pretty well together at the end: with this Tressa's combination of work will have access to Arches, firearms, swords and daggers, in addition to the magic of the Wind element. This is a good spread for weakness, but the best thing is how Tressa is now a reference point for bleeding enemies. Stealing commands can eliminate items, while merchant statistics allow you to earn money. In addition there are all those debuffs, which turn it into a valid support.
- Merchant / Warrior: You would not think of looking at it, but Tressa can really become a pretty pretty Serenade in Octopath Traveler thanks to her natural statin growth. The Warrior class allows it to tilt completely in this way if you choose to give it to it, plus you open swords and a series of new polearm skills for yourself.
Work Combination Suggestions for H & # 39; aanit
- Hunter / Warrior: Hunting skills of Aanit make it one of the most dangerous characters in Octopath Traveler just outside the gate as long as Capture high-level characters with her, but give her the work of Warrior as a subclass will make her much more resistant, allowing her to become a queen of melee weakness by taking advantage of unleashing your most powerful monsters on the bosses.
- Hunter / Thief: Similar to the above, H & Aanit can instead receive the Theif class – and this combination of work will allow you to debunk enemies before unleashing those powerful captured creatures. The stat bonuses of thieves also fit well with the skills that Aanit has already had in the hunter class.